The kiddos

The kiddos

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Grampie

About 2 weeks ago we had a change of plans and ended up coming to NH for a little while.  My Grampie had been living in a nursing home for a little over a year and half.  Three weeks ago hospice was brought in and my family was notified he probably didn't have too much longer.  He passed peacefully in his sleep the day after the kids and I returned home.  I have so many wonderful memories with him at my YiaYia and his house growing up.  He was a fun Grandfather who loved to take his grand kids to feed the ducks a big pond by the house in Dracut, and grow apples on his apple trees for us to pick every fall. In recent years his memory started to fail him and he needed to be reminded of who we were.  After I college he still asked how Florida was, I would remind him we were in Hawaii and he would talk about pulling into port there and it was as if his memory was good as can be. Then it continued to fade, I remember the last time I saw him Rob and I went to the nursing home to visit.  I don't think he knew who we were even when we told him but he was polite and we talked anyway.  Grampie and Rob started talking about time on Navy ships in different ports since they had that in common and he then shared the funniest story I ever heard him tell about his days in the Navy.  I will not repeat it hear because it's sort of inappropriate but there's no need to document it..I will never forget that story.  We were laughing so hard we were in tears.  Grampie will missed by all of us who loved him, today would have been his 86th birthday.  May you rest in peace Grampie, we will see you again.

No comments: