The kiddos

The kiddos

Monday, August 22, 2011

Pentagon Memorial

This weekend we finally made it down to the Pentagon Memorial. Rob has been working at the Pentagon all summer so we took advantage of his parking pass and spared ourselves a very long walk on a hot day.

For every person who was killed here on 9/11 they list their birth year, then each person has a bench thing with a fountain in that row. I believe the ones facing the Pentagon were the people who were on the plane, and the benches going outward are the people who were working in the building.

Each bench thing (I don't think you're actually supposed to sit on them but I don't know how else to describe them) has the persons name on it with water flowing below as you can see here.
I'm happy we were able to go down there, I can't believe it's been almost 10 years. My only thoughts on it were that for all the beautiful memorials DC has to offer, this one could have been a lot more serene. I thought the idea was great, but I'm not sure why it has sandy gravel surrounding the benches and not grass or flowers. When you look at it from a distance it practically blends in to the color of the Pentagon wall. Who knows, maybe they were going for that.

No comments: