This past weekend Rob and I ran the Marine Corps Marathon. I decided last January that my goal for the year was to run a marathon, when I told Rob this he said something along the lines of, "sign me up too cause I'm not having my wife run the Marine Corps Marathon without doing it too." So as we hobble around now that the race is over, he keeps reminding me that this was my fault!
We both had good runs, Rob was only 19 seconds shy of his goal time, and I was 11 minutes over what I had hoped for my maximum time. I felt prepared as I really could have been though, so I will take it and be happy!
Here we are early in the morning before we left.
My parents and the kids took the Metro in to the city and met us at Mile 16 which was near the National Mall. We got to say Hi, grab snacks and be cheered on which was fantastic!
Here we are in Rosslyn at the finish line. It finished at the Iwo Jima Memorial, after running the last quarter mile up hill. I think the memorial was supposed to motivate people to get up that last hill, but I didn't actually see it around the thousands of people, but they were all cheering us on which was great.
The kids were well behaved through what turned into being a travel nightmare to get out of the city. The metro/taxi/shuttle system couldn't handle the 33,000 marathoners and spectators (well over 100,000 people) all trying to get out of Arlington. With the hurricane making its way in, the temperature dropped right as I was finishing, and the wind picked up and it was so cold. Since the metro had an hours long wait, Rob and I ended up getting the cars while my parents found a hotel to keep the kids warm until we could get into the city to get them.
Overall it was a great experience! It's amazing to think that we ran 26.2 miles. While I'm not in any rush to sign up for another race, I think at some point I will end up doing another one!

1 comment:
Amazing. You guys rock. :)
Post a Comment